Today I feel like I need some motivation to do my physio and other exercises, so I have decided to try something a little different with this post. I’m going to write a list of some of the things that I’ve managed to achieve so far in life that I used to think I might never be able to do without help, but I can now do thanks to a mixture of getting creative and hard work.
- Cook Pasta
- Take the train on my own
- Take the bus on my own
- Walk across a coffee table without holding on to anything
- Open a pull door by myself while on my walking frame (providing it’s not too heavy)
- Being able to do some basic supermarket shopping on my own
- Play the Nintendo Wii using both hands
- Write shorthand at 70wpm
Now here’s another list of things I want to be able do to eventually, again probably through getting creative and even more hard work:
- Learn to drive
- Go to a music festival
- Figure skate (in my wheelchair)
- Self propel my wheelchair down a hill and not hurt myself
- Be able to change bed sheets
- Swim 100 metres (not at professional level, just to be able to do it)
- Play an instrument
- Live abroad for a bit
- Do a master’s degree
So, there you have it. I know some of these may only sound small but they make a big difference and give me something to aim for.
What have you managed to achieve that you never thought possible, what are you working towards?